Dear Guilderland residents:
The Albany County Department of Health notified the Town this morning that a Town resident has a confirmed case of coronavirus (COVID-19), and that the resident’s household is under quarantine. The Town’s Medical Director, Department of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and Police Department are closely working with Albany County DOH and NYS DOH officials on the Town’s response to this developing situation. We are also keeping the Village of Altamont, Guilderland Central School District, Guilderland and Altamont libraries, and the business community informed of developments.
Given this notification, the Town is cancelling, through next Tuesday, March 17th, all discretionary Town-sponsored gatherings, including senior programs. As a precaution, the Town is also cancelling court proceedings scheduled for tonight and Monday, March 16th. The Town Board’s March 17th meeting was cancelled for other reasons. We are in regular contact with State and County health professionals and are prepared to take additional action as warranted.
Please rest assured that the Town is fully equipped and trained to respond to COVID-19. We are striving to ensure a safe environment for residents and visitors at Town facilities, including the placing of hand sanitizers at public counters and increasing the frequency of disinfecting and cleaning surfaces. Except for discretionary meetings, all Town departments are functioning as normal. The EMS and Police Department are providing emergency and other services under guidelines issued by State and Federal authorities.
Please remember that exposure to COVID-19 results from person-to-person contact, and to help prevent the further spread of COVID-19 in our community, you should follow the following guidelines:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water is unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and then throw the tissue away in a trash can.
- Avoid touching your face, including eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
For updates and more information regarding COVID-19 please visit the following:
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) Updates on the Coronavirus
- New York State Department of Health
- Albany County Department of Health
We will keep you informed to the maximum extent possible.
Thank you and please stay calm.
Peter G. Barber